Sunday, November 9, 2014

Jessica Garrett at SmithKlein Gallery

"Summer Sunset"  Oil 30 x 50
 
Jessica Garrett was born in San Antonio, Texas in 1983 and has been interested in art since she was a child when she showed a promising talent for drawing at an early age. 

In 2005, she was awarded a scholarship from Scottsdale Artist’s School and took a workshop with R.A. Heichberger.  She continued to study under him, and by 2007, she was able to fulfill her dream of a career in fine art.

Jessica is always evolving as an artist. She has taken workshops from Chris Saper, Kevin Macpherson, and, most recently, Tim Deibler.

Jessica enjoys creating oil paintings that convey the feeling of the landscape through traditional representation. Her inspiration is drawn from many facets of nature.  It can be anything from the colors in a sunset, the brilliance of Autumn Aspen foliage against a clear blue sky, or the pattern of a stream running through fresh fallen snow.  From these Jessica develops color harmonies, value structures, compositions, and designs resulting in her unique style of painting.

Since 2009, she has participated in the Buffalo Bill Art Show and Sale, and in 2013, she began participating in Cowgirl Up.

Jessica painting in aspens.


Jessica painting on location.
Artist's statement: 
 
"I have always been drawn to painting the landscape.  There is a certain serenity and beauty that nature presents, and I enjoy trying to capture that.  

I like to paint lighting situations that push for nature’s more vibrant colors.  I think as an artist, color is the most powerful means of expression available.  I am greatly influenced by Emile Gruppe’s thoughts on color, and it is my goal to understand it as he did. 

Luckily, ever changing light produces limitless subtleties in color making the learning process never-ending."


"Fall Morning" Oil 30 x 35


Interview with Jessica Garrett

1.

Q) Are there any subjects that inspire you more than others, or are you open to painting anything?



A) I'm most drawn to landscapes.  I think nature is very relatable, and it’s something we have all stood in awe of.





2.

Q) Do you work on location, look at a photograph or create what you imagine in your mind?



A) I do all three. Usually what I do on location, I keep as a study, and then I produce my studio piece with a combination of my plein-air studies and photographs.  I also take a little artistic license to move and change things.  Often, at the final stages of a painting, I'm working from my head, and making adjustments by how it feels.





3.

Q) Do you see any trends currently unfolding in your art - developing techniques, new styles, different subject matter, interesting colors, etc.?



A) I think I am understanding color in a whole new way.





4.

Q) 4) Are you a full-time artist? What is your studio space like?



A) Yes! I am a full-time artist.

In my studio, I have a nice large counter-weighted easel that my Dad surprised me with before I ever even sold my first painting. I have the walls of the studio lined with shelves, because I like to work on lots of paintings at once. And I ALWAYS have music playing.





5.

Q) Is there anything you would like to highlight about your work in general? Do you feel like you have a message that you are trying to convey through your art?



A) I would like color to be the first thing someone notices about my work. I think the main thing I hope to convey is the beauty I see in the subject, which for me is generally very connected to the colors.





6.

Q) What inspired you to become an artist? How old were you when you started creating art?



A) I'm not really sure when I started drawing. I was maybe three. Art was something I can always remember being obsessed with. My family has always been very supportive, which encouraged me to explore my own talents, and my parents are both creative people.





7.

Q) How did you develop as an artist? Did you take classes or read about painting to improve your technique over the years?



A) First, I read a ton of books. Then, I took workshops and studied with professional artists. After that, I read a ton more books. Right now, I still take a workshop once a year, and I always have a book going.





8.

Q) Where do you see your art going in the future? What about art in general? 



A) I think art in general is just going to keep getting better.  Traditional artists like myself build on what the artists before us learned. Art materials are always getting better, and technology continues to makes learning more and more accessible.





9.

Q) What advice would you give to anyone who is thinking about going into art?



A) Paint from life, and learn from the best.





10.

Q) What keeps you inspired as an artist?



A) Plein air painting is always inspiring. Looking at work by artists I admire, watching another artist demo, reading a new art book, and listening to great music are all ways in which I feel inspired.



"Autumn Storms" Oil 18 x 36

"Buffalo Pass" Oil  9 x 12

"Burning Rays" Oil 18 x 24

"Dawn" Oil 12 x 16

"Evening Glow" 8 x 12

"Warm Glow" Oil 24 x 36

"Green to Gold"  Oil 12 x 8

"Morning Rain" Oil 8 x 12

No comments:

Post a Comment