Sunday, October 19, 2014

Stalin Tafura

 SmithKlein Gallery presents new works by Stalin Tafura

About the artist: 

Stalin Tafura


 

The stone sculpture of Stalin Tafura affirms the values and wisdom of Shona culture while reflecting themes that resonate with people from diverse backgrounds. Tafura harnesses his unique artistic sensibility to speak to and listen to stone, resulting in distinctly powerful sculptures that transcend time and geographical space.





Tafura was born into a famous sculpting family in Zimbabwe and is the grandson of sculptor, Claudio Nyanhongo, and son of world-renown sculptor, Agnes Nyanhongo. His education as a sculptor began in early childhood, as he observed the work of his grandfather, mother and uncles, and began to assist in the finishing process of their pieces.

“From a very early age, it was typical that I’d be surrounded by various family members sculpting and I became familiar with not only the techniques and the tools, but also the creative process and approach that I continue to use today. As a child, I used clay earth to sculpt cows, sheep and other animals; I was always exploring the world in a creative way.  I remember sculpting one of my first stone piece around the age of five. As I matured, it didn’t take long for me to realize that art could serve as a very powerful and personal way for me to communicate,” explains Tafura.


"Encircling my Soul"

"Prayer for the Future"

"Struggle of Beauty"


"Window of Opportunity"

No comments:

Post a Comment