Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bruce Cascia 2014

SmithKlein Gallery presents new works by Bruce Cascia during the month of April 2014.

And Away We Go! Oil painting by Bruce Cascia.


We were interested to know a little bit more about the artist, so here is an interview with Bruce and a few of his latest oil paintings:


(Q:) Are there any subjects that inspire you more than others or are you open to painting anything?

Bruce: I like painting nostalgic imagery. Actually, the more challenging something is, the more intrigued with it I am.

(Q) Do you paint on location or by photograph?

Bruce: Most of the time I paint from a photograph. I've done watercolors on location. They lend themselves to quick completion, so I'm done before the light changes

(Q:) Do you see any trends unfolding in your art - developing techniques, use of color, particular abstractions, etc.?

Bruce: I like painting metallic objects, reflections and brightly colored compositions. 

(Q:) Do you paint full time? What is your studio space like?

Bruce: I try to paint every day, but when sales are down I have to compensate my income with web design and art direction.

Bruce's studio.


(Q:) Is there anything you would like to highlight about your work in general? Do you feel like you have a message that you are trying to convey through your art?

Bruce: I've been painting Chicago Hot Dog Stands for a while. Since a lot of them have been torn down, I'm trying to preserve them on canvas.

(Q:) What inspired you to become an artist? How old were you when you started painting?

Bruce: I always liked drawing. As a kid, I thought if I could draw a dollar bill and change the denomination I could be rich! I practiced for weeks, and then my dad told me I could go to jail for counterfeiting. In the end, I used my talents to create school bulletin boards.

(Q:) How did you develop as an artist? Did you take classes or read about painting to improve your technique over the years?

Bruce: I'm pretty much self taught. At 12 yrs old, I took my first oil painting class at the local Y. I also painted from art history books checked out from the library to learn different techniques.


(Q:) What advice would you give to anyone who is thinking about going into art?

Bruce: Paint what you like and be the best at it.

Going Nowhere. Oil painting by Bruce Cascia



Chicken and Waffles. Oil Painting by Bruce Cascia.


No comments:

Post a Comment