Saturday, February 8, 2014

Lela Kay "Show in Red"



Lela Kay
Show in Red
February 1-28, 2014


Red has so many shades and nuances that I find it to always be new,
fresh and engaging. The color red is a metaphor for life: it is vibrant,
strong, passionate, bold, and intense, makes a statement and stands
out. When I paint in red I am truly absorbed in my work. As an artist, I
love all colors, but painting in red is really my signature color.

As an artist, my work is constantly evolving. This is by intention and by
choice. I can’t imagine painting the same ideas over and over again; my
art would become stale a boring. Painting is a journey in progress for
me, a chance to explore, take risks, challenge myself and grow. Art
emulates my life, my journey, my goal to always adapt and learn from
the past and move towards something new and exciting.

This red series of paintings represents a new direction in my abstract art.
I am digging deeper within myself, sorting through all the confusion,
reinventing the old me and discovering new layers of relevance and
meaning in my life. I push and probe to open up untouched passages,
hiding others, deciding what inner truths to reveal and what to keep
mysterious and veiled. Each painting is an autobiography of where I am
at that present moment and reflects feelings, thoughts and emotions.
For that reason, no two paintings I create are alike or can be alike.

Since moving into a new studio, my art has taken on a new direction.
The space is larger, with expansive windows, and the openness allows
me to be freer in expressing my ideas with larger, bolder gestures. I am
less inhibited and more open. Painting and creating has been a life long
passion and necessity. I am always painting and creating something
new, always thinking about the next painting.





No comments:

Post a Comment